Saturday, April 24, 2010

Hospitals in Cambodia

The trials of working in Cambodia are expanding each day.   

Phal's blood test has been 'lost' so we are waiting until April 27 before they can take another.  I cannot understand why we wait so long but this is the way things are done in this country.  We will now wait until May 11 for the test result as this cannot be done in Cambodia and needs to be sent to Bangkok.  This will mean six weeks to get one blood test result and we are dealing with a girl who has Leukemia!  I leave for Australia on 28th and still do not know if or when treatment can commence, so  it  looks like I will be back here sooner then planned. 

When I go to these hospitals I always have my co-worker Vanthon  with me, but even having him there to translate, it is still difficult for us to understand the process.  On Thursday this week we booked Srey Huoy, the blind girl, into a hospital to have her eyes examined under anesthetic.  We were sent off to five different sections of the hospital before we found a person who understood our request.  Huoy is still waiting there with her mum to have this procedure carried out.

Vanthon and I talked today about the need to always remind ourselves of the things achieved and not become overwhelmed by what is still not completed.  There are many many people here doing wonderful things for Cambodia - it is very inspiring.






No comments:

Post a Comment